Do you know, what are the benefits of fasting?
Well, this content focuses on the water fasting benefits – that helps you live holistically healthy.
We think that the Fasting is a religious activity, as nearly all religions emphasize the spiritual fasting.
Not only the religious fast, fasting for health benefits also has a massive number of devotees.
Because, fasting is the best natural healing mechanism.
That’s why Plutarch said,
“Instead of using medicine, rather, fast a day.”
Diet is necessary for well-being, but it does not mean that, eat a lot improves health.
According to the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, “Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. But to eat when you are sick is to feed your sickness”.
So, diet and hunger are crucial for healthy living.
We do not need any explanation in terms of eating.
But for hunger, we need proper preparation, monitoring, and guidance.
Before we dive into details, it’s important to understand what fasting is?
What is Fasting?
Physical health and the spiritual health are the most important branches of healthy living. People are fasting for the betterment of those two sections for decades.
The spiritual fasting may exist since the origin of the earth. Because, religious teachings – that said many thousand years ago, teach the followers on how to fast and what are the benefits of fasting, in terms of spirituality.
Even, fasting for the health benefits, also emerged many decades ago. Many scholars of the previous era, including Hippocrates, Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates have claimed that fasting is a natural healing process.
But in the fast moving world, many people find it difficult to keep fast, even they know the benefits.
That’s why, a lot of methods have arisen in fasting. Mainly they fall in three categories including, Dry fasting, liquid fasting, and partial fasting.
And a number of fasting options available, such as;
- Juice Fasting
- Water Fasting
- Intermittent Fasting
- Detox Fasting
Religious fasting and fasting for diagnostic tests are other two common forms of fasting.
With the basic understanding of fasting types, it’s time for explore the benefits of water fasting.
What is Water Fasting?
Water fasting is widely popular for its therapeutic effectiveness.
During the course of this deadly simple fasting, the faster consumes only clean water.
“Detoxification with water” is the main idea behind the water fasting.
By now you will be wondering that, is only water enough to survive?
Initially, it may pose a challenge. However, it’s very safe, if you carry out with proper preparation under the professional guidance.
What Does Happen During Water Fasting?
Usually, we eat a lot, instead, to eat less – that sufficient for our body and/or for our daily activities
So, the excessive calories will be deposited into our body in the form of glycogen/fat. And this storage causes many health problems for us – for example obesity.
Water fasting aims to burn this deposited fat.
When we completely avoid foods, the body uses excess glucose in the blood stream and the liver to generate the energy for our activities.
But this is only sufficient for a few hours.
After that, the total conversion will happen, like converting a diesel engine into a patrol one or vice versa.
Glucose (a form of sugar) is the source of energy for our body.
When the excess glucose is burned, our body needs to find another source of energy, so, the only option available is stored fat.
At this point, our body starts the ketosis process – in which fat cells are burned to generate energy.
Interestingly, your body will supply only the needed calories.
If you want to know how much calories do you need per day, head over to the online calorie calculator – which will precisely tell about your calorie requirements.
Normal detoxification cycle occurs during the sleep, but during fasting, we give enough time to detoxify the accumulated toxins in our body.
Water Fasting Benefits
Fasting with water is the quickest way to detoxify your body. Besides the detoxification effect, water fasting has a number of other health benefits. The modern medical science also have proved its benefits, including:
- Regulates blood sugar level: Glucose is the fuel for our body. Our digestive system works nicely to supply the needed glucose out of the foods we eat. Eating a lot foods continuously elevates your blood sugar level. If more glucose is available, it will be stored in the liver. When you keep fasting, During the first day of fast, our body burns the available glucose. So, no more accumulated sugar in your body.
- Regulates your digestion: with no more foods to process,digestive system uses its energy for restoration. Our body has a special natural healing process in which it regenerates the old cells and regulates the mucous lining.
- Promotes healthy aging: researcher Valter Longo found that, fasts trigger the stem cells and regenerate the older ones in Mice and yeast.
- Control the hypertension: A study published in the US National Library of Medicine website suggests, professionally supervised water fasting appears to be an effective and safe for controlling borderline blood pressure.
- Boosts your brain activity: Many studies found that, limiting your foods can positively affect your cognitive behavior. There is a detailed article at Mark’s Daily Apple blog – which clearly discusses the link between fasting and the brain health.
- Strengthens the immunity:Study proved that, due to the stimulation of stem cells, new white blood cells are produced. So, it strengthens your immunity.
- Eliminates bad cholesterol: Lipid profile tells about your cholesterol status. Bad cholesterol, good cholesterol, triglyceride, and total cholesterol levels are the very important figures on your lipid profile. It’s scientifically proven that, Ramadan fasting – in which faster omit everything, including water for about 16 hours a day, controls high density of lipoprotein level.
- Removes unnecessary weight: due to burning the fat cells and by removing the water weight.
- Detoxifies your body: Fasting or eating lightly can help remove the toxic load in your body. Alice from Columbia University clarifies how fasting help to detoxify your body here.
- Make you addiction free: during the period of fasting, you avoid everything, including alcohol, nicotine, and any other drugs. So, it’s a better chance to overcome your addiction.
- Prevent Cancer: Thomas Seyfried, a Professor of Biology, Boston College says, impaired mitochondrial function and energy metabolism can cause cancer, and therapeutic ketosis – a state during fasts, can kill tumor cells.
A simple body, mind hack helps you gain the above said benefits of water fasting.
Water fasting becomes a well-known tool to rectify your bodily organs, to remove the toxic load, and cut down some extra pounds.
But it should be professionally monitored.
Always consult your physician before you start fasting, because not everyone is healthy enough to fast.
What are the benefits of water fasting you gained?