Dandruff forms in the hair when the scalp sheds dead cells of the skin excessively.
Overactive oil glands, excessive perspiration, emotional stress, food allergies and poor circulation of the blood are all possible causes for the death of skin cells.
But harsh shampoos is also a significant reason.
Using a chemically manufactured shampoo,while eradicating the existing dandruff, may exacerbate the death of skin cells, causing more dandruff.
Moreover, some people may develop allergies to harsh and chemically manufactured shampoos.
The solution is herbal or homemade dandruff shampoo.
Such shampoo is good for the skin, easy to make and cheaper than shampoos available at the supermarket shelves.
In fact, it is possible to make natural anti dandruff shampoo at the home kitchen with no special effort.
The Ingredients for Homemade Dandruff Shampoo
The base ingredient to make homemade dandruff shampoo is water.
For a cup of water, take a tablespoon each of the following herbs
- Chamomile. For blonde hair, increasing the quantity of chamomile in the mix helps to bring out the natural highlight of the air
- Rosemary. For brown hair, increasing the quantity of rosemary brings out the natural highlight of the hair
These natural herbs have many rejuvenative properties.
However, none of these herbs are essential ingredients and it is fine to omit one or more of these herbs without affecting the quality of the homemade anti dandruff shampoo in any way.
In fact, it is essential to avoid any of the herbs to which the person applying the shampoo is allergic.
The other ingredients required to mix with the cup of water include:
- Castile Liquid Soap : ¼ cup, to create lather. The best option is to use unaltered Castile liquid soap, made of 100 percent pure olive oil. This creates a rich yet gentle later, safe for all skin and hair types.
- Coconut milk: ¼ cup. This is to moisturize the scalp. An alternative to coconut milk, to make a truly herbal anti dandruff shampoo is aloe vera gel.
- Apple cider vinegar : 2 tablespoons. This helps to kill the bacteria that aggravate the death of skin cells that cause dandruff, and also restores the scalp’s chemical balance.
- 1/4 C Vegetable Glycerin : ¼ cup (optional), for thickness. Higher the concentration of glycerin, greater the thickness of the shampoo.
- Light vegetable oil, such as almond, coconut, or jojoba oil: 1 tablespoon. This provides fineness to the shampoo
- Essential oils such as Melaleuca, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Basil, Lemon Verbena or Frankincense: 2 to 3 drops, for fragrance. Make sure to obtain certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils, as some fragrance oils may be toxic.
The Natural Shampoo Preparing Procedure
The procedure to make homemade dandruff shampoo is simple.
- Boil the water
- Add the herbs to the boiled water and let it seep for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the few drops of essential oil such as lemon verbena, frankencise or others while the herbs seep into the water.
- Strain the remnant solid substances to leave the herbal flavored water and allow it to cool
- Mix the herbal water to the ingredients that remain : liquid castile oil, coconut milk or aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar and light vegetable oil to the cooled herbal water and stir thoroughly to achieve a fine mix. Adding vegetable glycerin will make the concoction thicker.
Your natural homemade dandruff shampoo is ready!
The total time taken should be about 35 to 40 minutes, including the time allowed for the herbs to seep.
Store the shampoo in an airtight container, at room temperature.
At times, some of the ingredients may tend to settle when the shampoo sits idle, so it is recommended to shake well before use.
Those with sensitive skin and prone to skin allergies would do well to test the final product by placing a limited quantity on the scalp
….and waiting for five to ten minutes before rinsing to see if the shampoo would cause any adverse skin reactions.
The home made natural anti dandruff shampoo will nourish the hair and soothe the scalp, and is a must-have for anyone with dandruff.
All the ingredients are natural and available easily off the shelves.
In fact it is also possible to create some of the ingredients such as coconut milk at home, making the product more natural.
The best part of the process is the flexible nature.
Apart from the base ingredients, it is possible to experiment and fine-tune with the other ingredients to create the desired flavor and thickness.
What was your results? Do let me know your results in the comments section below..